Hezbollah 'not behind attack on Israel
Hezbollah 'not behind attack on Israel'
Hezbollah has ruled out any involvement in recent rocket attack on northern Israel that was responded by Israeli artillery shells
Hezbollah has nothing to do with this attack," a spokesman for the movement, Ibrahim Mussawi, told AFP on Saturday
According to an unnamed security source in Beirut, two rockets had been fired from the area of Mansouri, one of which landed in the village of Naqoura in southern Lebanon.
"One of these rockets landed (within Lebanese territory). The other rocket's location has not been determined," said the source.
No one has yet claimed responsibility for the attacks.
The Israeli army responded to the attacks by firing at least six artillery shells into southern Lebanon.
Tel Aviv held the Lebanese government responsible for the incident.
"It is the responsibility of the Lebanese government and the army to prevent this rocket fire," said an army spokesperson.
Lebanese government meanwhile condemned the attack on northern Israel, saying Beirut was committed to implementing UN Security Council resolution 1701 which ended the 33-day Israeli war against Lebanon in summer 2006.
"Prime Minister (Fouad) Siniora (said) the rockets launched from the south threaten security and stability in this region and are a violation of resolution 1701, and these issues are rejected, condemned and denounced ... Israeli artillery (fire is an) inexcusable violation of Lebanese sovereignty," Reuters quoted a statement from the premier's office.
He also condemned Israel's artillery fire on southern Lebanon, saying the attack threatened the area's stability
4 Israeli rockets hit Lebanon
Four Israeli rockets have landed in south Lebanon after a rocket fired from the country hit northern Israel, Israeli and Lebanese army says.
The incident took place on Saturday.
UN peacekeeping troops in Lebanon have set up checkpoints and were preventing people from heading into the area of the attacks, residents said.
The rocket fired from Lebanon wounded an Israeli woman lightly.
There has been no immediate claim of responsibility.
The last such exchanging of rockets on Israeli-Lebanese border occurred on January 14 when a Palestinian group said it had attacked Israel from Lebanon in response to Israel's massacre in Gaza.
Hezbollah and Palestinian factions ruled out any involvement in the January rocket firing
Topic: Hezbollah 'not behind attack on Israel
No comments found.
